Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chicken Joes!


Here it is, the first recipe, Chicken Joes. Now, I have to start by apologizing that there is no picture of the final product sitting on a bun- as I was cooking this and taking pics, I was also trying to sign my daughter's Girl Scout troop up for Cookie Booths, so it was a bit hectic!
I am a fan of quick dinners, and that's what you will find here on Heart Healthy Mama! This is so quick and easy, and even my picky 5 year old will eat these!

In this recipe, I will also share some of my favorite brands for items that I used.
Here is the ingredient list:
1lb diced chicken breast pieces *(see note below regarding chicken)
3/4 cup onion;chopped
1/2 cup green pepper;chopped
2 cups no salt-added tomato sauce (the only brand I could find was Trader Joe's -see the pic below)
2 tbsp tomato paste (Hunt's is extremely low in sodium)
1 tbsp mustard
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dried oregano
whole wheat hamburger buns

**Note on chicken: If you are serving more than 4 people (1 sandwich each), I would add more chicken. You can use frozen pre-cooked chicken if you like, but that generally has more sodium. So I just chop up fresh chicken breasts into small pieces.

Start by chopping up your onion and green pepper. I like to finely dice mine, because I don't like big chunks of veggies!


Gather all your ingredients together! That's my method, cause I like to make sure I have everything I need, and I like to have it nearby and ready to grab!


Start by browning your chicken in a nonstick pan. When it's just about cooked through, add your green peppers and onions and cook until onions are translucent.

Stir in the rest of the ingredients and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.



Serve on whole wheat buns.

It's so simple! Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Happy cooking!
-Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment